Size Diversity

You’ve heard of Size Inclusive brands? Can I just break the mold here and be Size diverse?!

Let me explain….

Size Inclusive

Size inclusive-ness is so important. How can you express yourself with clothes that don’t fit you? The average woman in NZ is a size 16, so why is it that this is a size large in most brands? As much as I love the 50’s, we’re promoting vintage style, not vintage values. G-Gee’s size range reflects this – our medium is a size 14/16.

Converge Runway show 2019 (Photo by Elias Rodriguez)

Size Diverse

A lot of brands are talking about size inclusiveness at the moment, and I love that. However what about body shape? You dont see many (any?!) sizing catered towards this….

A higher percentage of women (about 30%) have a “bigger at the bottom” body shape. And so, the industry sizing you see out there (size 10, 12, 14 etc) is catered towards this. But what about the other 70%? The hour-glass, straight-shaped, diamond-shaped, bigger at the top and every other beautiful body shape under the sun? Size diversity is about not just providing all ranges of sizes but looking at body shape as well.

G-Gee’s Shapely Spectrum up-cycled collection does just that. Check it out here. No more buying separates or sizes that are too big in order to have a dress that fits everywhere!

If you’re interested in finding out more about body shapes, check out my recent blog here and there’s some tips on how to measure your body further on down this page.

Then WATCH THIS SPACE for the stylised dress range catered to each body shape coming out Summer 2022, I have been working on these beauties for 2 years and I am super excited!!


I provide a bespoke service where garments can be made suited to your exact measurements and desired style and colours. As part of this service, I can also provide basic advice on your colour palette and body shape. I work in partnership with Nina at Style Gorgeous, she has some great tips and knowledge in this area. If you wanted to take your style journey further, check out her website here.

I also endeavour to provide a “custom to your measurements” option for most of my designs that are released in a range of sizes. This is for no extra charge. If you need a slight design change in a design that I have released I am happy to work with you on this as well.

An example of a design change to my Rainbow Circle skirt. The back is elasticated while the front is the band from the original design.

How to measure your body

If you would like to figure out your body shape, you’ll need to know your measurements. These can also be helpful to have on hand when you’re doing that online shopping.

If you’re anything like me, visual aids help! So I did up some photos for you using a reluctant model (me lol) to demonstrate.

The main measurements are bust, waist and hip. Wear either tight fitting clothing or underwear (a comfortable bra is fine). Before you start, take a deep breath and relax :) You want the measuring tape to make a straight line all the way around your body with a firm grip but not too tight so its squashing you.

Bust – Measure the fullest part, usually straight across your nipples.

Waist – this is the one that gets most people – some say that your waist is your smallest part around your midriff but that’s not true for all ladies. You want the bending point when you bend sideways or I’ve found an easy way is where you naturally “put your hands on your hips”. Usually above your belly button and just below your rib cage.

Hips – around the fullest part of your hips, for most its around crotch level.

If you’re interested in finding out more about body shapes, check out my recent blog here.